- 407- Rabbits
- Kanab, UT, USA
- Full Time
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food.
Reports to: Rabbit Manager
Location: Kanab, UT
Position Summary: The Rabbit Caregiver will work within a team setting to oversee the health, well being and general care of the rabbits. Caregivers will also train and mentor other staff at times.
- Provide care and handling for animals that have significant behavioral issues which may include shyness, fearfulness and aggression.
- Provide care for animals that have significant medical issues which may include a variety of zoonotic disease.
- Prepare and deliver food to all rabbits including special diets according to department guidelines or medical plan.
- Practice safe bunny handling and grooming techniques (including bunny butt baths).
- Provide a beneficial environment for the rabbits (with opportunities for stimulation and quiet space) along with bonding being a priority.
- Work toward the goal of finding adoptive homes.
- Complete required documentation for medical or behavioral concerns about the rabbits in a timely manner. Report concerns to the Vet Tech, clinic, Team Leader or Manager.
- Medicate animals according to department guidelines or medical plan under the guidance of the Rabbit Team Leader/Vet Tech and clinic.
- Communicate to Vet Tech in writing when medical supplies are low.
- Assist the Vet Tech with rabbits needing to go to the clinic by holding during procedures and relaying medical information/documentation to the veterinarians.
- Set up special needs rabbits in safe environments for feeding, wound care and healing.
- Clean buildings, runs, cages and play areas as scheduled by the Team Leader or Manager.
- Clean and refill water dishes and hay boxes according to department schedule, or sooner if needed.
- Restock hay, wood pellets and other supplies as needed.
- Wash all laundry and restock buildings and yurts.
- Other cleaning duties as assigned by Team Leader or Manager.
- Work as a productive team member by listening to other team members, showing respect and courtesy, assisting other team members, communicating clearly, participating in team decision making, and taking responsibility for (owning) your assignments.
- Ambassador of the brand for all volunteers and visitors, promoting the Best Friends mission and demonstrating the "specialness" that is the sanctuary.
- Responsible for the safety and training of volunteers: orienting them to assigned animal area, assigning work, answering questions, and assisting with their needs.
- Interacting with tours: be available to greet tours, speak about specific animals, and answer questions.
- Working and interacting with interns and workshop attendees: assigning work, answering questions, and assisting with their needs.
- Oversee work done by groups in assigned animal care area: ensure safe interactions between participants and the animals, assist in setting up the group with projects as needed, and answer question.
- Train new staff and interns on rabbit and guinea pig care.
- Report any repairs needed to the rabbit areas to Team leader or Manager.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Inform Team Leader or Manager of safety issues.
- Assist with inventory control, purchasing, maintenance reporting, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Able to demonstrate after a short training period a working knowledge of rabbit characteristics and husbandry requirements.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Experience with or ability to learn Microsoft Word and Excel, Google calendar, docs and email and ADP.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Best Friends position on issues.
- Must have a valid driver's license, be able to drive a manual vehicle and qualify for BFAS insurance.
- Must be able to routinely lift 40 pounds.
- Must be able to work out of doors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to above 100 degrees.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: lifting, carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning, and bending.
- Must be able to work around allergens like hay, dust and rabbit fur.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!