- 403- Cats
- Kanab, UT, USA
- Full Time
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food.
Reports to: Cat World Manager
Location: Kanab, Utah
You can take care of adorable cats for a living! That can be your actual job: looking after cute cats. And not only that, but you can do it at one of the most gorgeous places on earth: Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Here, the sun shimmers on the rising walls of the red rock canyons every morning to welcome you to work. And the sky goes on forever. Of course, taking care of cats is a lot of hard work! There's cleaning to be done, and food to prepare. Many of these cats have special needs, and checking on their health as well as administering medicine is all part of the day. There are nails to trim and fur to brush, baths to give, and supplies to keep track of. You'll need to be communicative: asking questions as you get the hang of how things are done, and letting someone know if you notice something like a change in a cat's weight. Being willing to help, happy to cooperate and easy to be around are all great qualities to bring to this job. We also need someone who can be warm and welcoming to visitors. But most of all, please bring your love of cats! Because while these precious felines look for families to call their own, you're helping to provide their home-between-homes.
Position Summary: The Cat Caregiver 1 will work within a team setting to oversee the health, well-being, and general care of the cats at Best Friends.
- Provide care and handling for animals that have significant behavioral issues which may include shyness, fearfulness and aggression.
- Provide care for animals that have significant medical issues which may include a variety of zoonotic disease.
- Prepare food for all cats in building to include pan meals and special individual meals.
- Administer oral and topical medications to cats in building.
- Perform the following medical-related functions: bathe cats and nebulize cats.
- Monitor cat eating habits, make food adjustments as necessary and report to Team Leader if becomes an issue.
- Maintain accurate, organized, up-to-date records for all the cats in the building (keep records in easily accessible and visible location).
- Weigh (in kg) all cats according to protocols, identify large weight changes to Team Leader.
- Complete "fecal check" evaluations.
- Check meds against med sheets for accuracy, document error(s), and obtain correct meds as applicable.
- Observe medical/behavioral issues with cats and write up using the Caregiver Observation Form. Insure all other building team members are aware of issue.
- Perform basic grooming tasks, i.e., trimming nails, cleaning ears, combing.
- Enhance the physical and emotional wellbeing of the cats. Activities include, but are not limited to: taking cats for walks, enhancing rooms to stimulate cats, and brushing and combing cats.
- Clean in accordance with posted protocols.
- Keep building supplied with all necessary cat food, medical supplies, and cleaning supplies.
- Work with Adoption Team to promote cats to potential adopters.
- Report all maintenance/repair issues to TL.
- Ambassador of the brand for all volunteers and visitors, promoting the Best Friends mission and demonstrating the "specialness" that is the sanctuary.
- Responsible for the safety and training of volunteers: orienting them to assigned animal area, assigning work, answering questions, and assisting with their needs.
- Interacting with tours: be available to greet tours, speak about specific animals, and answer questions.
- Working and interacting with interns and workshop attendees: assigning work, answering questions, and assisting with their needs.
- Oversee work done by groups in assigned animal care area: ensure safe interactions between participants and the animals, assist in setting up the group with projects as needed, and answer question.
- Display a willingness to learn by listening and asking questions.
- Relate to employees, volunteers, and visitors in a friendly, informative, and professional manner.
- Be attentive to others' needs and willingly assist as required.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Identify improvement to tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience:
- Strong desire to work with cats. Previous experience working with cats and basic grooming experience preferred.
- Must be able to work with all cats, including those with health concerns/conditions, including but not limited to Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV), feline leukemia virus (FeLV), and ringworm.
- Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred. Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Basic computer skills necessary including checking and preparing e-mails, managing google calendar and google documents, and using the Automatic Data Processing (ADP) system for time keeping and access to documents.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Must have a valid driver's license and qualify for BFAS insurance.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Best Friends position on issues.
- Must be able to routinely lift 40 pounds.
- Must be able to work out of doors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to above 100 degrees.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including, but not limited to: climbing up and down ladders, lifting and carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!