- 405- Dogs
- Kanab, UT, USA
- Full Time
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food.
Reports to: Dogtown Team Leader
Location: Kanab, Utah
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Position Summary: Work within a team setting to oversee the health, well being, and general care of dogs.
- Provide care and handling for animals that have significant behavioral issues which may include shyness, fearfulness and aggression.
- Provide care for animals that have significant medical issues which may include a variety of zoonotic disease.
- Feeding dogs-according to department guidelines. Preparing food (special diets closely followed), reporting observations and suggested changes to team leader and team members.
- Watering dogs-maintaining that all dogs have water at all times and buckets are sanitized.
- Medicating dogs-communicating medical issues to team members, team leader and filling out CGO's. Assuring that all dogs receive daily medications and treatments as prescribed by the clinic.
- Responsible for taking dogs to any appointments (clinic, hydrotherapy, grooming, etc.)
- Identifying behavioral issues and sharing observations with team members/team leaders/trainer.
- Closely working with designated trainer. Following training plans for specific dogs designed by trainer.
- Maintaining records on the dogs in their Life Care Plans; special diets, training performed, progress made, issues, etc.
- Socializing/enrichment for the dogs in their care as outlined by the Team Leader and/or Trainer.
- Walking the dogs based on area schedule.
- Light grooming/observing and reporting grooming needs to team members/team leader and groomer.
- Cleaning work areas and preserving physical appearance of dog buildings and grounds: poop scooping, raking, sweeping, shoveling, dusting, mopping, trash removal, scrubbing, weeding, etc.
- Ambassador of the brand for all volunteers and visitors, promoting the Best Friends mission and demonstrating the "specialness" that is the sanctuary.
- Responsible for the safety and training of volunteers: orienting them to assigned animal area, assigning work, answering questions, and assisting with their needs.
- Interacting with tours: be available to greet tours, speak about specific animals, and answer questions.
- Working and interacting with interns and workshop attendees: assigning work, answering questions, and assisting with their needs.
- Oversee work done by groups in assigned animal care area: ensure safe interactions between participants and the animals, assist in setting up the group with projects as needed, and answer question.
- Working as a productive team member, assist other team members, communicate clearly.
- Filling out maintenance request for any repairs needed and report to team leader.
- Attending staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Participating in dog introductions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Strong desire to work with dogs. Previous experience a plus.
- Comfortable handling dogs with behavioral issues which may include shyness, fearfulness and aggression.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Must have a valid drivers license and qualify for Best Friends insurance.
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Best Friends position on issues.
- Basic computer skills necessary including checking e-mails, google calendar and google documents, and ADP.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Experience with or ability to learn Microsoft Word and Excel, Google calendar, docs and email and ADP.
- Must be able to routinely lift 40 to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Must be able to work out of doors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to 100 degrees.
- Must be able to work with physically strong dogs.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, hike, walk, kneel, and lift.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!