- 406- Horses
- Kanab, UT, USA
- Full Time
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food.
Reports to: Manager - Horse Haven
Location: Kanab, UT
FLSA status: Non-exempt
How would you like to come live in the red rock canyons and make taking care of our horses, donkeys, mules, sheep, goats and pot bellied pigs your full-time job? It's a lifestyle that comes with scenic views, a team of nice colleagues, and the satisfaction of knowing that you're helping to save the lives of animals who come to Best Friends for healing and help.
Position Summary: Working within a team setting to oversee the health and well being of the animals at the sanctuary. Animals in Horse Haven may include horses, donkeys, mules, sheep, goats and pot bellied pigs.
- Provide care and handling for animals that have significant behavioral issues which may include shyness, fearfulness and aggression.
- Provide care for animals that have significant medical issues which may include a variety of zoonotic disease.
- Prepare and deliver daily feed rations.
- Monitor eating habits and report any concerns to Team Leader.
- Administering and tracking medication as required.
- Provide clean fresh water to animals.
- Maintain pastures, stalls, and other living areas according to departmental guidelines.
- Mucking and/or poop scooping pastures and living areas.
- Cleaning and bedding stalls and houses.
- Provide seasonal living area modifications as needed (i.e. shade sails, pools or mud baths in the summer, shoveling snow in the winter).
- Maintain clean working environment.
- Keep any food prep areas or storage areas clean, organized and stocked with feed, supplies, and hay as needed.
- Unload hay, feed, and supply deliveries at the sanctuary as needed.
- Monitor overall health and behavior of animals, reporting changes/concerns to management and veterinary staff as outlined in the department guidelines.
- Create a healthy and positive living environment for the animals.
- Treat the animals with kindness and respect.
- Provide socialization and enrichment for the animals using techniques laid out in the departmental guidelines.
- Assist in transporting animals as requested.
- Ambassador of the brand for all volunteers and visitors, promoting the Best Friends mission and demonstrating the "specialness" that is the sanctuary.
- Responsible for the safety and training of volunteers: orienting them to assigned animal area, assigning work, answering questions, and assisting with their needs.
- Interacting with tours: be available to greet tours, speak about specific animals, and answer questions.
- Working and interacting with interns and workshop attendees: assigning work, answering questions, and assisting with their needs.
- Oversee work done by groups in assigned animal care area: ensure safe interactions between participants and the animals, assist in setting up the group with projects as needed, and answer question.
- Relate to employees, volunteers and visitors in a friendly, informative, and professional manner.
- Take initiative and identify improvements to tasks.
- Be attentive to others needs and willingly assist as required.
- Display a willingness to learn and ask questions.
- Participate in staff meetings and caregiver meetings.
- Attend and participate in any required staff training.
- Use all tools, equipment and vehicles appropriately to keep them from getting damaged or lost.
- Utilize appropriate safety equipment when indicated and always work in a safe and thoughtful manner.
- Maintain a clean and organized working environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience:
- Previous experience with equines, pot bellied pigs, goats, and sheep preferred.
- Previous experience working with equines with natural horsemanship techniques preferred.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends Animal Society's and Horse Haven's positions on issues.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong listening skills.
- Basic computer experience preferred (Microsoft Word, Gmail, etc.).
- Experience operating a variety of vehicles (manual and automatic) and pulling a trailer preferred.
- Must have a valid driver's license and qualify for BFAS insurance.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to perform strenuous and repetitive physical activity on a daily basis including but not limited to: shoveling, mucking, poop scooping, lifting, carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, bending, walking, climbing up and down ladders, and climbing into and out of vehicles.
- Must be able to routinely lift 80 – 100 pounds.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to about 100 degrees.
- Must be able to work around allergens like hay, dust, and animals.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!