- 404- Clinic
- Kanab, UT, USA
- Full Time
Best Friends offers a comprehensive benefit package. Medical, Dental, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Vision, Child Care, Cafeteria Plan, Life Insurance, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, etc. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food. Many local businesses support us by offering discounts on their services and products to Best Friends employees.
Veterinary Technician opportunity of a lifetime: Join our team at the largest animal sanctuary in the country! Help to save lives in our new state-of-the-art hospital where we pride ourselves on offering homeless pets the same top-of-the-line care that animals with the most loving families would have their vets provide. The new 13,000-square-foot facility offers a private room for shy community cats to stay before and after spay/neuter surgery, a dedicated dental suite, a state-of-the-art laboratory, an x-ray suite, an ultrasound room and many more features that allow us to provide top-notch care. So follow your dream and come live among the beautiful red rock canyons, and put your veterinary technician experience to work for the animals who need you most – homeless pets
Position Summary: Being a Veterinary Technician at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary provides you the freedom to be the technician you dreamed about: Your clients are the animals! The Best Friends Clinic provides medical care to all of our Sanctuary residents, our employees' pets, and public animals in need. Working closely with our veterinarians, vet techs, clinic manager and other clinic staff, our practice allows you to develop skills in all areas of veterinary medicine, emergency medicine, and care of specific species. We structure treatment plans with each animal's well-being in mind and euthanasia decisions are based only on quality of life and ending untreatable suffering. Vet Tech Tier 2 must be able to provide medical care with developed skills and common understanding of procedures and perform general nursing/surgical skills without guidance.
- Relate professionally to Clients, Veterinary staff, Management and other Sanctuary departments regarding the health of Clinic patients.
- Maintain the ability to follow policies and procedures set by the Medical Director and Clinic Manager.
- Have a working knowledge of general medical terminology, transcription and data entry.
- Maintain appropriate standard of care protocols: clean housing, fresh food, fresh water, clean litter box, new bedding.
- Perform proper medical restraint techniques for various species.
- Have sound mathematical knowledge of Veterinary medicine in order to properly dose medications and or fluids.
- Have general medical skills associated with triage, emergencies, hospitalized patients (follow and maintain a hospitalized patients treatment sheet), anticipate changes in patients status, and common/specialized diagnostic procedures.
- Have general surgical skills associated with anesthesia and surgical procedures: instruments, sterile technique, assisting intr-op, surgical induction/recovery,monitoring, specialized equipment.
- Have a general ability to perform phlebotomy, lab work, radiology and ultrasound with general interpretation.
- Ability to perform solely or in conjunction with a Veterinarian special procedures including: Chemotherapy, laser treatment, physical therapy, blood transfusions and or dentals.
Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience working in a Veterinary clinic.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Experience with or ability to learn Microsoft Word and Excel, google calendar, docs and email and ADP.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Best Friends and the Best Friends Medical team position on issues.
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times.
- Must want to work to further your own learning by asking questions and doing personal research.
- Must have a valid drivers license and qualify for Best Friends insurance.
- Ability to lift and handle animals of varying sizes and species, bending, stooping, and walking on a daily basis.
- Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor. Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Must be able to work out of doors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to 100 degrees.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, hike, walk, kneel, and lift.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!