Reports to: Marketing Specialist
Location: Austin, Texas
FLSA status: Non-exempt (Hourly)
Market to save lives! You: A marketing professional who knows how to build strong, lasting relationships with communities, businesses and leaders. Your clients: Homeless dogs and cats all around the country who want people to come out to Strut Your Mutt! Best Friends Animal Society's Strut Your Mutt event raises money for animal welfare groups who are saving the lives of pets. The more people come to the event, the more communities embrace the event, the more businesses and leaders support the event, the more money is raised and the more lives are saved. That's your mission. To raise the awareness, the attendance and the success of this event, while managing a team of volunteers to help you. It's a big responsibility, but if you love animals, and you have the drive, creativity, experience, and people-skills to take Strut Your Mutt's exposure to the next level, then we would love for you to be a part of Best Friends Animal Society – and help Save Them All®.
Position Summary: The Strut Your Mutt Satellite City Marketing Outreach Lead will be responsible for promoting the local Strut Your Mutt event to potential participants through grassroots marketing efforts. The goal is to raise awareness and attendance of the event in their local market by promoting the event to as many people as possible and getting them excited to register for Strut Your Mutt. The lead should use creative and resourceful thinking to reach and excite the masses about the event, and include tactics such as outreach to local businesses and organizations that can promote the event to their audiences, tabling at community events, local calendar/community listings, leveraging community influencers, targeting organizations and community groups to form teams, and collateral distribution.
Strut Your Mutt Austin is anticipating to take place at the Walter E Long Park, September 16th.
Note: this is a part-time temporary position, approximately 10 hrs a week from June to September/October
- Identify and coordinate promotion opportunities with local businesses
- Establish relationships with local influencers who will promote the event
- Outreach to local organizations and community groups to encourage them to participate as teams
- Plan and execute participation in community events, which may fall on evenings and weekends
- Distribute collateral in key locations to reach our target audience
- Manage a group of volunteer street team members
- Stay connected with local event committee to update them on outreach, events, etc.
- Manage local event page on Facebook by posting engaging content to encourage participating and fundraising
- Other duties as assigned
Skills & Experience:
- Strong knowledge and familiarity of, and connections within the local market, especially in the neighborhoods and communities around the event's location
- Marketing experience - event and/or grassroots marketing a plus
- Outgoing, dynamic, creative personality with an ability to network with influencers and generate excitement for the event from community businesses and leaders
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' mission and position on issues
- Technology skills: including the ability to research online to find the best opportunities to promote Strut Your Mutt, the ability to use personal phone or ipad device to register participants on site, keep track of data via Google Sheets, and communicate with street team members and volunteer committee through email
- Experience managing a small group of people
- Experience working with volunteers
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people, including communicating progress and results to Best Friends national marketing team
- Self starter, takes initiative, can take something and "run with it" with minimal hand-holding
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time and work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion
- Travel to local event location on event date
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!