- 400- Animal Care Admin
- Kanab, UT, USA
- Full Time
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food.
Reports to: Animal Care Operations Manager
Location: Kanab, Utah
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Position Summary: Responsible for the maintenance and repair of facilities and grounds in the various animal care departments. Ability to perform varied physical labor and semi-skilled equipment operations required.
- Current Animal Care Division departments include: Adoptions, Bunny House, Cat World, Clinic, Dogtown, Emergency Response, Horse Haven, Parrot Garden and Wild Friends.
- Perform a variety of maintenance work such as building maintenance, plumbing repair, swamp cooler set up and repair, appliance maintenance/ repair, carpentry repair and construction, painting projects, equipment installation, drainage repair, drywall procedures and repairs, and remodeling projects.
- Work with a variety of materials, hand sweeping, dumping, spreading, shoveling, raking, tamping, etc.
- Erect, maintain and repair fencing.
- Install and maintain shade units and visual barriers.
- Perform recurrent preventative maintenance on various equipment, structures and landscaped areas.
- Ensure animal care areas have an orderly appearance; straightening diamond block, minor landscaping, shoveling dirt from fence lines, etc.
- Weekly check and fill of gas and oil in golf carts.
- Manage trash and recycling pick up.
- Respond to emergency repair requests, troubleshoot and identify corrective action.
- Assist animal care areas in seasonal change needs (winterizing, setting up misting systems in the spring, etc).
- Operate, service, clean, and care for tools and equipment/accountable for all equipment.
- Manage maintenance requests through a computerized work order system.
- Participate in the mouse relocation program.
- Follow safe work practices and observes safety precautions.
- Work collaboratively with other teams as needed.
- Work with volunteers as assigned. Responsible for the safety and training of volunteers, assigning work, answering questions, promoting Best Friends mission, and assisting with their needs.
- Lead and supervise work groups in specific grounds keeping or maintenance projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Basic knowledge of methods, tools, equipment, materials, and practices used in construction and maintenance.
- Basic carpentry and finish work experience preferred.
- Fencing repair and construction experience preferred.
- Ability to obtain appropriate certificates or licenses required to operate and service equipment; to learn to operate a variety of hand and portable power tools, vehicles, and mobile construction and maintenance equipment skillfully and safely.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions; read and interpret maps, diagrams, and equipment operations manuals; maintain records; make basic arithmetical calculations
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Resourceful. Must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically persist until goals are achieved.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public.
- Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Valid Driver's license, with 3 year clean driving record.
- Work with a positive outlook, upbeat, energetic, take initiative and work well as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn on the job.
- Comfortable working in close proximity to various species of animals and preferably, willing to handle animals on occasion.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' mission and position on issues.
- The ability to perform physical work requiring coordination, agility, strength, and stamina.
- Must be able to work out of doors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to 100 degrees.
- Work includes heavy lifting (typically up to 80 pounds); prolonged periods of standing; stooping, reaching, crawling, and climbing; manual dexterity.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!