- 572- Utah Spay & Neuter
- South Ogden, UT, USA
- Full Time
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, & Staff Discounts
Position title: Veterinary Technician
Reports to: Manager - Spay/Neuter Services
Location: Best Friends - Utah (South Ogden, UT)
We are so excited to have a new Spay/Neuter clinic in South Ogden, Utah. High volume spaying and neutering is a big part of our Save Them All mission as it helps keep unwanted litters out of shelters, ultimately saving countless lives. Be a part of a terrific team of people who are working hard to turn Utah into a no-kill state so that other states can later follow suit. It's a big job, but it could be the career of a lifetime the chance to do something that you'll always be proud of: spending your time working to save the lives of others.
To be part of a veterinary team to provide high quality, high-volume spay and neuter surgeries for public clients, adoption program animals and coalition members.
- Perform basic medical care including but not limited to: wrapping wounds, blood draws, medicating, vaccinating, nail trimming, SQ fluids, grooming needs, anal gland expression and microchipping under the direction of staff Veterinarian and in accordance with Spay and Neuter SOPs.
- Have basic technical skills associated with anesthesia and surgical procedures: proper instrument use, sterile technique and surgical induction/recovery.
- Assist in monitoring patients during surgery and post-surgery.
- Responsible for maintaining the control substance logs in adherence to Best Friends and DEA policies.
- Actively promote spay and neuter and educate clients on responsible animal ownership.
- Perform daily cleaning of kennels, cages, surgery room and other work spaces.
- Stocking supplies and alerting the Vet Tech Supervisor on inventory needs.
- Preparing surgical packs and cleaning surgical equipment.
- Maintain patient medical records in database.
- Work and interact with volunteers and visitors to include, but not limited to: training, assigning work, answering questions, promoting Best Friends mission and assisting with their general needs.
- Reconcile daily monetary transactions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience:
- Two years experience as a Veterinary Technician or have a Certified Veterinary Technician degree. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working as a Veterinary Technician in a high volume spay/neuter clinic or shelter environment.
- Have a working knowledge of common medical terminology, transcription and data entry.
- Experienced in safe animal handling and restraining for pets.
- Work with a positive outlook, upbeat, energetic and taking initiative. Represent the clinic in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Provide excellent customer service via phone, email and in person.
- Must be comfortable and able to handle dogs and cats, including those with health concerns/conditions as well as behavior conditions and feral cats. Be comfortable dealing with sick and injured cases.
- Ability to make sound judgments and work independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands. Requires continual attention to detail.
- Possess the desire to further one's knowledge of technician skills.
- Professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment with all clinic staff.
- Computer skills: MS Office, email, google drive and vet software and client databases.
- Valid driver's license; May need to travel between Best Friends Spay and Neuter Clinic locations.
- Biligual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Must be able to routinely lift 50-75 pounds.
- Must be physically able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis including but not limited to: lifting, carrying, reaching, climbing ladders, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
- Ability to work in all types of weather conditions including extreme heat and cold.
- Effectively handle all species of animals with a variety of temperaments, varying in size and weights.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule, may include weekend, nights and holiday work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!