- 618- Cat Initiative
- Kanab, UT, USA
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food.
Reports to: Community Cat Program Supervisor
Location: Kanab, Utah
Position Summary: In southern Utah, Best Friends runs a TNR (Trap Neuter Return) program, which brings in the majority of the kittens that come through the Best Friends Sanctuary in Kanab. While it is not an overwhelming number of kittens, we needed to create a system where volunteers can help care for the 100+ kittens that do come through. This position will be the first line of communication for the volunteers as well as being the primary contact for the manager in all regards to nursery operations.
Note: Part-time and full-time positions available, anticipated March to October 2017.
- Facilitate the 24 hour daily feeding (including neonates), cleaning, and enrichment of cats and kittens according to the established protocol.
- Monitor neonate & kitten eating habits, make food adjustments as necessary and report to the manager when there are changes in appetite or weight fluctuations including weighing and recording on charts for neonates and communicate the medical care of cats and kittens. Reporting any medical or behavior concerns.
- Maintain inventory of all supplies, ensuring all necessary supplies are stocked and available at all times. Report all purchase needs and maintenance/repair issues.
- Work and act as a point person for volunteers to include: Training, retaining, engaging, scheduling, answering questions and assisting with general needs.
- Engaging current volunteers via e-mail and phone to fulfill feeding schedule slots for the upcoming week, as well as re-engaging volunteers who have not served a shift recently.
- Clean in accordance with protocols to include, but not limited to (this includes kittens of all ages, neonates, weaned, moms and babies, and independent eaters): Dishes, Litter Boxes, Laundry, Cages, Cat Rooms, Floors, Bathrooms
- The duties may vary depending upon the volume of kittens coming into the nursery. This position may be reassigned to assist the Community Cat Program during times of low kitten intake.
- Additional duties as needed as assigned
Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience working with cats required. Must be comfortable and able to work with all cats and kittens, including those with health concerns as well as behavior conditions, and feral cats.
- Experience with bottle feeding, triage and medical care of unweaned animals, kittens or wildlife preferred.
- Must be comfortable and able to work with all cats and kittens, including those with health concerns/conditions and assist in making medical decisions for neonatal kittens.
- Experience coordinating volunteers and/or customer service experience preferred.
- Ability to interact well with others. Very personable, professional, and upbeat, and demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with the ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Best Friends position on issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, positive, personable, upbeat, energetic, proactive, tactful and diplomatic.
- Proficiency with a variety of computer tools such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, database, internet research, google programs, etc. Must be flexible and willing to work weekends, overnights, holidays and on-call when necessary.
- Sitting for extended periods of time, including work at a computer.
- Must be physically able to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Lifting and handling animals of varying sizes and breeds.
- Bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, squatting, and cleaning kennels on the floor on a daily basis.
- Ability to effectively and safely handle a variety of animals and spend extensive periods of time with those animals in close quarters.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!