- 535 - NY Adoption Center
- New York City, NY, USA
- Part Time
Best Friends offers a comprehensive benefit package. Medical, Dental, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Vision, Child Care, Cafeteria Plan, Life Insurance, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, etc.
This is a part-time position working approximately 15 hours per week
Position Summary: The Adoption Center Veterinarian will support Best Friends Animal Society - New York by ensuring that all animals received at the pet adoption center are prepared for adoption in a timely manner. They will also ensure that all animals available for adoption stay current on vaccines and receive health checks and exams as needed. This position is also responsible, along with the center staff, for coordinating timely and accurate medical record keeping and communication regarding the cats and dogs at the adoption center.
Essential Primary Duties:
- Work with Best Friends Medical Director and the Adoption Center Manager and staff to develop and execute a medical plan focusing on population health management
- Provide medical oversight for the kitten nursery
- Create status reports and maintain documentation as it relates to the New York City program
- Assist in the creation and implementation location specific medical protocols
- Follow established medical protocols
- Conduct walk-thrus and diagnose illnesses
- Perform medical exams and vaccinations as needed
- Create treatment plans for sick and injured animals
- Issue Health Certificates as needed
- Provide availability for phone calls during the day to advise staff on medical issues.
- Assist staff with the planning and coordinating of medical supplies and equipment
- Work with the Foster Care Coordinators on foster vaccines and exams
- Other duties as assigned by the Pet Adoption Center Manager or Executive Director
Experience / Requirements:
- Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine (DVM, VMD) or equivalent required
- Current malpractice/license defense fund insurance
- Understanding and ability to perform shelter medicine protocols.
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a license in good standing with state veterinary board upon hire
- License or application for license with Drug Enforcement Agency
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Able to maintain clear communication with direct manager and internal staff on all levels. Proven written and oral presentation skills.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Lifting dogs and cats of varied sizes, bending, stooping and walking on a daily basis.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!