- 535 - NY Adoption Center
- New York City, NY, USA
- Full Time
Best Friends offers a comprehensive benefit package. Medical, Dental, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Vision, Child Care, Cafeteria Plan, Life Insurance, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, etc.
Position Summary: The Kitten Nursery Caregiver is responsible for client services, animal care and volunteer coordination at the Best Friends-NY Kitten Nursery.
- Facilitate the daily feeding, cleaning, vaccination schedule, medical care and enrichment of cats and kittens in our Kitten Nursery in accordance to Standard Operating Procedures. Report any medical or behavior concerns to the Vet Tech and/or the Pet Adoption Center Manager.
- Work and interact with volunteers and visitors to include, but not limited to: Training, retaining, engaging, assigning work, answering questions and promoting Best Friends mission and assisting with general needs.
- Work with Adoption Center partners to pick up, ready and transport cats and kittens to the Kitten Nursery as needed.
- Keep animal records current with information and current medications, vaccines and intake exams, observations and behavior notes in the database.
- Maintain inventory of all Kitten Nursery supplies as instructed by the Vet Tech, ensuring all necessary supplies are stocked and available at all times. Report all purchase needs, and maintenance/repair issues to the Vet Tech.
- Work with the Vet Tech to determine proper treatment of sick or injured kittens and administer those treatments whenever they are needed in accordance with an on-site or private veterinarian and Standard Operating Procedures.
- The work duties of this position may vary depending upon the volume of kittens coming into the nursery. This position may be reassigned to assist other Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center departments during times of low kitten intake into the Nursery.
- As needed, cover shifts in the Pet Adoption Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience / Requirements:
- 1 year previous experience working with cats required, preferably with or for a veterinary clinic, humane organization or animal shelter.
- Experience with bottle feeding, triage and medical care of unweaned animals, kittens or wildlife preferred. Training will also be provided.
- Must be comfortable and able to work with all cats and kittens, including those with health concerns/conditions as well as behavior conditions, and feral cats.
- Experience coordinating volunteers and/or customer service experience preferred.
- Proven ability to promote a positive work environment.
- Engaging and friendly interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with the public, volunteers and staff. Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends Animal Society positions on issues.
- Proficiency with a variety of computer tools such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, database, internet research, google programs, etc.
- Must be flexible and willing to work weekends, nights and holidays when necessary.
- Must have the ability to make decisions on behalf of the organization as to care of animals in the kitten nursery.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, positive, personable, upbeat, energetic, proactive, tactful and diplomatic.
- Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically demonstrate flexibility to persist until goals are achieved.
- Knowledgeable of breeds, care giving, and characteristics of cats.
- Be comfortable dealing with sick and injured cats and kittens up to and including euthanasia if deemed necessary.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Must be able to routinely lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Must be physically able to perform strenuous manual labor. Including spending an extended period of time outdoors in all weather, including extreme heat and cold.
- Effectively handle all species of animals with a variety of temperaments.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: walking, hiking, bending, lifting, carrying, twisting, reaching, stooping and squatting.
- Ability to effectively and safely handle a variety of animals and spend extensive periods of time with those animals in close quarters.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!