- 535 - NY Adoption Center
- New York City, NY, USA
- Full Time
Best Friends offers a comprehensive benefit package. Medical, Dental, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Vision, Child Care, Cafeteria Plan, Life Insurance, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, etc.
Position Summary: The Vet Tech is responsible for the intake, medication and basic care for kittens in the Kitten Nursery in the Best Friends Pet Adoption Center in New York.
- Facilitate the 24 hour daily feeding, cleaning, vaccination schedule, medical care and enrichment of Adoption Center animal population, with a focus on the kitten population, in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures. Report any medical or behavioral concerns to the Manager and follow through with contacting the appropriate veterinarian.
- Communicate professionally and with a high level of customer service to clients, staff, Management and other departments regarding all job responsibilities, especially the health of all PAC.animals. (For example, explain Discharge instructions to adopters.)
- Consistently follow policies and procedures set by the Medical Director and/or the overseeing veterinarian.
- Participate in creating, overseeing and updating procedures to carry out corporate policies regarding Kitten Nursery services, including forms and procedural manuals.
- Communicate on behalf of Doctor regarding time sensitive decisions in emergent situations.
- Maintain records: conduct entry and retrieval of information for multiple systems, medical records, drug log books, etc. Maintain animal records to show current information and current medications, vaccines and intake exams, observations and behavior notes in PetPoint.
- With Kitten Nursery staff, clean work areas daily -- including but not limited to cleaning cages, and mopping floors.
- Prepare and fill prescriptions for Center animals under the direction of veterinarians. Administer oral and injectable medications.
- Assist the veterinarians in animal handling and general treatment.
- Stock supplies and alert the Manager on inventory needs, and maintenance and repair issues.
- The work duties of this position may vary depending on the volume of kittens coming into the Nursery. This position may be reassigned to assist other Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center departments during periods of low kitten intake into the Nursery.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A current license as a New York State Veterinary Technician, with at least one year prior experience working with kittens. This includes bottle feeding experience and working with cats and kittens with health and behavior issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills. A successful person will be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, energetic, will take initiative and act with tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Accurate, clear, concise written and verbal communication skills. Good listening skills.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
- Ability to make sound judgments and work independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Computer literate; MS Office, Internet.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.is preferred.
- Must be able to routinely lift 40-50 pounds.
- Must be physically able to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Effectively handle all species of animals with a variety of temperaments.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Lifting and handling animals of varying sizes and species, bending, stooping and walking on a daily basis.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!