- 535 - NY Adoption Center
- New York City, NY, USA
- Full Time
Best Friends offers a comprehensive benefit package. Medical, Dental, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Vision, Child Care, Cafeteria Plan, Life Insurance, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, etc.
Position Summary: The Adoption Specialist is responsible for client service and the adoption of animals at the Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center including but not limited to: adoption placement and facilitation adoptions for center animals both at the center and at offsite adoption events, creating a positive experience for clients, ensuring quality customer service, ensuring accurate record keeping for animal disposition, providing foster parent and adoption support, training of volunteers in all aspects of the adoption department, assisting in various volunteer programs, animal care, transport, and promoting animals and the adoption program to the public.
Essential and Primary Duties/Responsibilities include:
- Facilitating the complete adoption process according to Best Friends standards and philosophy to include: surveys, checklists, agreements, dog meet dog intros, screenings, medical records, written correspondence, email, and phone calls.
- Ensuring all volunteers are trained in all policies and procedures of Best Friends Animal Society, and that they deliver quality customer service, including assisting all clients with finding appropriate pets by facilitating introductions to appropriate animals and disseminating appropriate information.
- Answering of client inquiries through the adoption team primarily including but not limited to: answering the phone and basic questions from the public and appropriately directing calls to other team members when relevant, checking voice mail messages and overseeing call backs and information is delivered to appropriate staff as well as respond to general email inquiries.
- Assisting with in-house adoption promotions and events as needed including ensuring the Best Friends - New York PAC is decorated to fit said event.
- Transporting to and from shelter locations and veterinary offices throughout the 5 boroughs. Occasionally transport out of state is required.
- Providing high quality customer service to people who visit or call Best Friends Animal Society as well as resolving problems and addressing any client dissatisfaction
- Adhering to and being acquainted with written policies, procedures, protocols, forms and training materials for adoptions, client service and adoption trials (Obtain approvals as needed.)
- Keeping animal records current with information which will help place animals into suitable homes, foster homes or rescue including entering past and current medical examinations, observations and behavior notes in Petpoint as needed.
- Utilizing shelter management software to effectively and efficiently track animals coming to and going from the shelter and updating files as required including tracking adoptions for coalition members and communicating with partners when an animal is adopted.
- Maintaining an inventory of all adoption pet food and supplies including but not limited to: retail items, adoption tags, paper, pens, surveys, checklists, one-sheets and adoption packets, as well as filing and tracking of adoption surveys, checklists and contracts in accordance with NY law and Best Friends Animal Society policy.
- Assisting the Animal Care team when needed, in the daily feeding, cleaning, medicating and enrichment of our pet population in accordance with schedules and protocols.
- Assisting the kitten nursery with bottle and tube feeding as needed.
- Supporting or substituting for the Pet Adoption Center Manager, Lead Animal Care Specialist, or other Adoption Specialists, in performing intake exams for verification of health and behavior wellness as well as data entry of history in the PetPoint software on both cats and dogs as outlined in Admissions Protocol for both Best Friends and Best Friends - New York coalition animals and following all procedure through the adoption process as indicated in said protocol.
- Other duties as assigned by the Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center Manager.
Skills and Experience:
- 2 years previous experience working with cats and dogs required. Must be able to work with all cats and dogs, including those with health concerns/conditions as well as behavior conditions.
- 2 years customer service experience required.
- Must have the ability to make decisions on behalf of the organization and coalition members as to approval of animals into adopted and foster homes.
- Must have the ability to make decisions on behalf of the organization to maintain intake standards for animal admissions approval into the Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, positive, personable, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, and uses tact and diplomacy.
- Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically demonstrate flexibility to persist until goals are achieved.
- Knowledgeable of breeds, care giving, and characteristics of animals.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office, Internet, PetPoint shelter software, Google docs and mail.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Two years management and/or team leading experience: adoption experience also preferred.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a preferred.
Physical and Job Requirements:
- Must be able to perform full range of movement: stretching, bending, squatting, climbing, lifting, etc...
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Ability to drive a van/commercial vehicle.
- Ability to effectively interact with and handle all animals including cats and dogs.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Effectively handle all species of animals with a variety of temperaments.
- Spend an extended period of time outdoors in all weather, including extreme heat and cold.
- Must able to lift 50 pounds or more.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, night and holiday work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!