- 535 - NY Adoption Center
- New York City, NY, USA
- Full Time
Best Friends offers a comprehensive benefit package. Medical, Dental, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Vision, Child Care, Cafeteria Plan, Life Insurance, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, etc.
Position Summary: The Pet Caregiver Lead is responsible for the day to day activity and productivity in the pet care department, both assisting and acting in the absence of the Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center Manager. Specific duties include but are not limited to working as a member of the pet care team, acting as a leader to ensure that the daily feeding, cleaning, medicating and enrichment of our pet population is done in accordance with schedules and protocols, facilitating and processing adoptions and training and overseeing Best Friends - New York volunteers.
Essential and Primary Duties/Responsibilities Include:
- Participating in and managing the daily feeding, cleaning, medicating and enrichment of our pet population, and ensuring this is done in accordance with schedules and protocols.
- Working with the Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center Manager to keep SOP's relevant and current and ensuring consistent implementation and continuing education on SOP's for staff and volunteers .
- Monitoring the activity in the pet areas including overnight staff work regularly and ensuring all pet staff and volunteers are on task and working productively as well as ensuring they are trained in all policies and procedures of Best Friends Animal Society, and that they deliver quality customer service, including assisting all clients with finding appropriate pets by facilitating introductions to appropriate animals and disseminating appropriate information.
- Supporting the kitten nursery, bottle feeding or tube feeding as required.
- Working closely with the manager on various issues including but not limited to:
- Act to resolve conflicts
- Identify and address employee relations and operations issues
- Identify, address, and evaluate staff performance
- Support staff development by presenting quarterly recommendations to the manager concerning staff performance (areas for opportunity, strengths, future goals, potential, etc.)
- Working with the Pet Adoption Center Manager, performing intake exams for verification of health and behavior wellness of pets. Entering dog and cat history in the PetPoint software as outlined in the Admissions Protocol for both Best Friends Animal Society and Best Friends - New York coalition animals and following protocol procedure throughout the adoption process.
- Monitoring pet eating habits, behavior and medical habits/issues and ensuring documentation is given to the Pet Adoption Center Manager.
- Maintaining accurate, organized, up-to-date records for all the pets in the building including up-to-date and accurate kennel cards and locations.
- Assisting the public with providing information on the pets and helping potential adopters with "Meet 'n Greets."
- Working positively with adoption team to promote pets to potential adopters.
- Maintaining inventory of all pet food, medical supplies, dry storage and cleaning supplies as well as daily pet population inventories.
- Reporting all maintenance/repair issues to manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the Pet Adoption Center Manager and the Executive Director.
- Facilitating the complete adoption process including full counseling and clerking duties according to Best Friends standards and philosophy to include but not limited to: surveys, checklists, agreements, medical records, health certificates, adoption follow-ups, written correspondence, email, and phone calls.
- In the absence of the Lead Adoption Specialist, ensuring that adoption specialists are on task and working by establishing priorities of importance to ensure quality customer service, a high level of lifesaving and positive productivity on a daily basis.
- Responding to client inquiries including: answering the phone and basic questions from the public and appropriately directing calls to other team members when relevant, checking voice mail messages and overseeing call backs and information is delivered to appropriate staff as well as responding to general email inquiries.
Required skills and experience:
- Must have the ability to make decisions on behalf of the organization to maintain intake standards for animal admissions approval into the Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center.
- Must have the ability to make decisions on behalf of the organization and coalition members as to approval of animals into adopted and trial homes.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, positive, personable, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, and uses tact and diplomacy.
- Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically demonstrate flexibility to persist until goals are achieved.
- Knowledgeable of breeds, care giving, and characteristics of animals.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office, Internet, PetPoint shelter software, Google docs and mail.
- 3 years customer service experience required.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Two years management and/or team leading experience: adoption experience also preferred.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- 2 years previous experience working with cats and dogs required. Must be able to work with all cats and dogs, including those with health concerns/conditions as well as behavior conditions.
- Experience interacting with the general public and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Must be able to routinely lift 30 pounds.
- Effectively handle all species of animals with a variety of temperaments.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including, but not limited to: lifting and carrying, reaching, climbing ladders, stooping, squatting, and bending.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Long exposure on a daily basis to cats of all temperaments and medical conditions.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, night, on-call and holiday work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!