- 535 - NY Adoption Center
- New York City, NY, USA
- Full Time
Best Friends offers a comprehensive benefit package. Medical, Dental, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Vision, Child Care, Cafeteria Plan, Life Insurance, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, etc.
Position Summary: Working as part of the New York team, the Transport Specialist's main duties will be supporting the Pet Adoption Center by driving animals from New York City shelters to various locations in the New York City area including foster homes, adoption events, veterinary appointments and boarding facilities as needed, and facilitating the adoption of homeless animals from BFNY, originating from the New York City shelter system.
- Local driving as directed by the NYC Pet Adoption Center Manager, which may include veterinary appointments, mobile adoptions, shelter/rescue pick up and/or boarding facilities.
- Submit a transport report to the Pet Adoption Center Manager upon completion of each transport.
- Responsible for keeping all vehicles used for transport and mobile adoptions clean and fully stocked before and after use, and for safely parking and storing vehicle.
- Load, unload and transport pre-selected dogs and cats from designated shelter facilities to/from veterinarians, adoption venues, foster homes, the Pet Adoption Center, and boarding.
- Load, unload and transport animal and event supplies to/from adoption events
- Ensure that animals aboard the vehicle are cared for to the highest standards including fresh water, food or snacks, clean cage environment, blanket, hiding spot if initially nervous, temperature control and potty breaks for dogs, etc. This also includes monitoring for signs of stress or agitation and taking steps to minimize this.
- Obtain all medical records and animal paperwork and ensure that paperwork goes with the animal and is given to the Foster & Adoption Coordinators and/or Pet Adoption Center staff.
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times with staff, volunteers and members of the public: excellent customer service is required at all times.
- Responsible for maintaining database for tracking program success.
- Other duties as needed.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Valid Driver's License with clean driving record and access to transportation
- Able to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
- Must be comfortable building and maintaining relationships with a wide range of people.
- Ability to work independently and use judgment within established guidelines.
- Experience working or volunteering in an animal welfare setting.
- Good animal handling skills with all companion animals with a basic knowledge of breeds and their behavior traits.
- The ability to interact well with a variety of people, including those that may be difficult.
- The ability to advocate Best Friends' philosophy on issues.
- Must have access to high-speed internet or DSL and be competent using email applications.
- Must be a flexible team player who can follow direction.
- Experience driving a large vehicle in heavily congested areas.
- Good knowledge of the New York City tri-state area.
Must be able to:
- Sit for long periods of time while driving; long hours of traveling required
- Spend extended periods of time outdoors in all weather conditions including extreme heat or cold.
- Work around all types of animals with excellent animal handling skills.
- Be able to lift in excess of 50 lbs.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!