- 561 - Atlanta Rescue Center
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Full Time
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401k and Staff Discounts.
Position: Veterinary Technician Assistant, Best Friends - Atlanta
Reports to: Animal Care Manager, Best Friends - Atlanta
Location: Atlanta, GA
Best Friends Animal Society is excited to have a location in Atlanta! APRA (Atlanta Pet Rescue and Adoption) has joined Best Friends to be a champion of the no-kill movement and help homeless pets. Be a part of the solution and join our team. We are looking for a hard-working, independent and caring Veterinary Technician to help at our Pet Adoption Center.
Position Summary: To be part of a veterinary team to provide high quality medical care to the animals in the adoption center. Directly provide support to Animal Care Manager in the administration of medications and monitoring of health of pets in care at the Pet Adoption Center.
- Performing and ensuring daily feeding, cleaning, medicating and enrichment of our pet population are done in accordance to time frames and protocols.
- Monitor pet eating habits, behavior and medical habits/issues and ensure documentation is given to the appropriate staff member.
- Maintain accurate, organized, up-to-date records for all the pets in the building including up-to-date and correct kennel cards and locations.
- Administering prescribed medications, both oral and injectable.
- Assisting the veterinarian in animal handling and general treatment.
- Perform inventory of all pet food, medical supplies, dry storage and cleaning supplies as well as daily pet population inventories as instructed by the Animal Care Manager.
- Assist Animal Care Manger with coordinating medical care with external veterinary providers. Includes but not limited to, scheduling appointments, transporting animals, and coordinating adopter pick-ups. In collaboration with animal care staff assist with performing intake exams for verification of health and behavior wellness as well as data entry of history in the assigned pet management software on both cats and dogs.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, night, and holiday work. Must have flexible schedule.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Assisting the Animal Care team when needed, in the daily feeding, cleaning, medicating and enrichment of our pet population in accordance with schedules and protocols.
- In collaboration with animal care staff assist with performing intake exams for verification of health and behavior wellness as well as data entry of history in the assigned pet management software on both cats and dogs.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong interpersonal skills. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Prior experience as a Veterinary Assistant, or relevant education and or certifications.
- Must be able to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Ability to drive a van/commercial vehicle.
- Ability to effectively interact with and handle all animals including cats and dogs.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
- Will be required to visit off-site Best Friends programs and events.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to above 100 degrees.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: walking, hiking, bending, lifting, carrying, twisting, reaching, stooping and squatting.
- Ability to effectively and safely handle a variety of animals and spend extensive periods of time with those animals in close quarters.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!