- 561 - Atlanta Rescue Center
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Part Time
Part-time employees are eligible for pro-rated PTO, Holidays, 401k and Staff Discounts.
Position: Adoption Specialist, Best Friends - Atlanta
Reports to: Adoption and Volunteer Manager, Best Friends - Atlanta
Location: Atlanta, GA
Hours will most likely be 6am to 10am or 4pm to 8:30pm on Fri/Sat/Sun.
Position Summary: The Adoption Specialist is responsible for client service and the adoption of animals at the Best Friends Atlanta Pet Adoption Center including but not limited to: adoption placement and facilitation of adoptions for center animals both at the center and at offsite adoption events, creating a positive experience for clients, ensuring quality customer service, ensuring accurate record keeping for animal disposition, providing foster parent and adoption support, training of volunteers in all aspects of the adoption department, assisting in various volunteer programs, animal care, transport, and promoting animals and the adoption program to the public.
Essential and Primary Duties/Responsibilities include:
- Facilitating the complete adoption process according to Best Friends standards and philosophy to include: surveys, checklists, agreements, pet intros, screenings, medical records, written correspondence, email, and phone calls.
- Ensuring all volunteers are trained in all policies and procedures of Best Friends Animal Society, and that they deliver quality customer service, including assisting all clients with finding appropriate pets by facilitating introductions to appropriate animals and disseminating appropriate information.
- Answering of client inquiries through the adoption team primarily including but not limited to: answering the phone and basic questions from the public and appropriately directing calls to other team members when relevant, checking voice mail messages and overseeing call backs and information is delivered to appropriate staff as well as respond to general email inquiries.
- Assisting with in-house adoption promotions and events as needed including ensuring the Best Friends Atlanta Pet Adoption Center is decorated to fit said event.
- Transporting to and from shelter locations and veterinary offices and off-site adoption events.
- Providing high quality customer service to people who visit or call Best Friends Animal Society as well as resolving problems and addressing any client dissatisfaction
- Adhering to and being acquainted with written policies, procedures, protocols, forms and training materials for adoptions, client service and adoption trials
- Keeping animal records current with information which will help place animals into suitable homes, foster homes or rescue including entering past and current medical examinations, observations and behavior notes in the animal management software as needed.
- Utilizing animal management software to effectively and efficiently track animals coming to and going from the shelter and updating files as required including tracking adoptions for coalition members and communicating with partners when an animal is adopted.
- Maintaining an inventory of all adoption pet food and supplies including but not limited to: retail items, adoption tags, paper, pens, surveys, checklists, one-sheets and adoption packets, as well as filing and tracking of adoption surveys, checklists and contracts in accordance with Georgia law and Best Friends Animal Society policy.
- Assisting the Animal Care team when needed, in the daily feeding, cleaning, medicating and enrichment of our pet population in accordance with schedules and protocols.
- In collaboration with animal care staff assist with performing intake exams for verification of health and behavior wellness as well as data entry of history in the assigned pet management software on both cats and dogs.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Skills and Experience:
- 2 years previous experience working with cats and dogs required. Must be able to work with all cats and dogs, including those with health concerns/conditions as well as behavior conditions.
- 2 years customer service experience required.
- Must have the ability to make decisions on behalf of the organization and coalition members as to approval of animals into adopted and foster homes.
- Must have the ability to make decisions on behalf of the organization to maintain intake standards for animal admissions approval into the Best Friends Atlanta Pet Adoption Center.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, positive, personable, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, and uses tact and diplomacy.
- Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically demonstrate flexibility to persist until goals are achieved.
- Knowledgeable of breeds, care giving, and characteristics of animals.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office, Internet, animal management software, Google docs and mail.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, night, and holiday work. Must have flexible schedule.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Ability to drive a van/commercial vehicle.
- Ability to effectively interact with and handle all animals including cats and dogs.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
- Will be required to visit off-site Best Friends programs and events.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to above 100 degrees.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to: walking, hiking, bending, lifting, carrying, twisting, reaching, stooping and squatting.
- Ability to effectively and safely handle a variety of animals and spend extensive periods of time with those animals in close quarters.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!