- 551- Los Angeles Adoption Center
- Mission Hills, CA, USA
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401k and Staff Discounts.
Location: Mission Hills, CA
The Dog Caregiver will work within a team setting to oversee the health, well-being, and general care of the dogs at the Center and help to facilitate their adoptions.
- Feeding the dogs in the Center according to the established protocol.
- Ensure all dogs have access to fresh water and that bowls are sanitized daily.
- Monitor dog eating habits, make food adjustments as necessary, and report to the supervisor when there are changes in appetite or weight fluctuations.
- Maintain accurate, organized, up-to-date records for all the dogs in the building.
- Keep dog records in easily accessible and visible location.
- Clean in accordance with posted protocols to include, but not limited to:
- Off-leash areas
- If a dog has received spay/neuter surgery, monitor the incisions to ensure appropriate healing.
- Check medications against "med" sheets for accuracy, document error(s), and obtain correct medications as applicable.
- Observe medical/behavioral issues with dogs and discuss with supervisor.
- Ensure all dogs have accurate information and quality photos on their cage card and report to supervisor if anything is missing or inaccurate.
- Assist with writing "bios" for dogs in the adoption program.
- Assist with photographing dogs in the adoption program.
- Ensure all dogs have "bios" and photos on website.
- Enhance the physical and emotional well-being of the dogs.
- Work with trainer/behaviorist on dog enrichment, behavior modification, and specific training programs.
- Assist the public with providing information on the dogs and help potential adopters with a "Meet 'n Greets."
- Conduct handling of the adoptable shelter dog for introduction to prospective adopter's dog(s).
- Work positively with Adoption Team to promote dogs to potential adopters.
- Maintain inventory of all necessary dog food, medical supplies, and cleaning supplies.
- Report all maintenance/repair issues to supervisor.
- Treat the animals with kindness and respect.
- Work closely with and supervise volunteers.
- Communicate clearly to staff and volunteers.
- Be attentive to others' needs and willingly assist as required.
- Assist other team members with their work.
- Identify & report improvement to cleaning procedures and caretaking responsibilities to supervisor.
- Assist with getting animals ready for mobile adoptions.
- Assist in the cat area when necessary.
- Ensure the dogs have comfortable bedding available and appropriate enrichment/stimulation daily.
- Attending staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience:
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' mission and position on issues.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Strong desire to work with dogs.
- Comfortable handling dogs with behavioral issues which may include shyness, fearfulness, and reactivity.
- Demonstrate personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Must be able to work with all dogs, including those with health concerns/conditions and all sizes and energy levels.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (client service) preferred.
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times.
- Strong interpersonal skills:
- Ability to develop positive relationships with others.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings, and perspectives of others.
- Must be able to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear, and concise written/verbal communication skills with strong listening skills.
- Basic computer skills required necessary including checking e-mails, Google calendar, Google documents, and ADP.
- Previous experience handling dogs and training dogs preferred.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Experience with or ability to learn Microsoft Word/Excel, Google calendar/docs/drive/email, and ADP.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Must be able to routinely lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis including, but not limited to: lifting and carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Long exposure on a daily basis to dogs of all temperaments, sizes, and medical conditions.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!