- 556 - Los Angeles Cat Center
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401k and Staff Discounts
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Position Summary: Oversee the health and well-being of the animals in the neo-natal nursery and adoption center. Perform administrative duties.
- Feeding the Kittens in the nursery and other designated areas according to the established protocol including bottle feeding and tube feeding neonates as assigned.
- Monitor eating habits, make food adjustments as necessary and report to the supervisor when there are changes in appetite or weight fluctuations including weighing and recording on charts for neonates and kittens.
- Work overnight hours, independently, with no direct supervision
- Perform routine visual checks on all animals including all areas where animals are housed. Any animal needing immediate medical care will be communicated to the Veterinary Services Manager or Adoption Center Manager via phone (or to designated on-call medical staff member) immediately and instructions followed.
- Act as the onsite contact for after-hours emergencies with the City of LA.
- Supervise and allow entrance to the overnight volunteers as part of the Bottle Baby Program.
- Communicate clearly to staff and volunteers as required
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' mission and position on issues.
- Experience as a Veterinary Assistant/ Technician recommended but not required.
- Ability to work independently.
- Must be able to work with all dogs and cats, including those with health concerns/conditions and all sizes and energy levels.
- Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically demonstrate flexibility to persist until goals are achieved.
- Knowledgeable of breeds, care giving, and characteristics of animals.
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office, Internet
- Ability to work nights.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Ability to read English and perform basic calculations.
- Must be able to routinely lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including, but not limited to: lifting and carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time.
- Ability to effectively interact with and handle all animals including cats and dogs.
- Manual dexterity for keyboarding and computer work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!