- 551- Los Angeles Adoption Center
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401k and Staff Discounts.
Position Summary: The Dog Caregiver will work within a team setting to oversee the health, well being, and general care of the dogs at the Center and help to facilitate their adoptions.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities include:
- Feeding the dogs in the Center according to the established protocol.
- Monitor dog eating habits, make food adjustments as necessary and report to the supervisor when there are changes in appetite or weight fluctuations.
- Maintain accurate, organized, up-to-date records for all the dogs in the building.
- Keep dog records in easily accessible and visible location.
- Clean in accordance with posted protocols to include, but not limited to:
- Off-leash areas
- If a dog has received spay/neuter surgery, monitor the incisions to ensure appropriate healing.
- Check medications against "med" sheets for accuracy, document error(s), and obtain correct medications as applicable.
- Observe medical/behavioral issues with dogs and discuss with supervisor.
- Ensure all dogs have accurate information and quality photos on their cage card. Report to supervisor if anything is missing or inaccurate.
- Assist with writing "bios" for dogs in the adoption program.
- Assist with photographing dogs in the adoption program.
- Ensure all dogs have "bios" and photos on website.
- Enhance the physical and emotional wellbeing of the dogs.
- Work with trainer/behaviorist on dog enrichment, behavior modification and specific training programs.
- Assist the public with providing information on the dogs and help potential adopters with a "Meet 'n Greets."
- Conduct handling of the adoptable shelter dog for introduction to prospective adopter's dog(s).
- Work positively with Adoption Team to promote dogs to potential adopters.
- Maintain inventory of all necessary dog food, medical supplies, and cleaning supplies.
- Report all maintenance/repair issues to supervisor.
- Treat the animals with kindness and respect.
- Work closely with and supervise volunteers.
- Communicate clearly to staff and volunteers.
- Be attentive to others' needs and willingly assist as required.
- Assist other team members with their work.
- Identify & report improvement to cleaning procedures and caretaking responsibilities.
- Assist with getting animals ready for mobile adoptions.
- Assist in the cat area when necessary.
- Ensure the dogs have comfortable bedding available and appropriate enrichment/stimulation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Work with a positive outlook, upbeat, energetic and taking initiative.
- Strong desire to work with dogs. Previous experience working with dogs preferred.
- Must be able to work with all dogs, including those with health concerns/conditions and all sizes and energy levels.
- Experience interacting with the general public and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be willing to work weekends, evenings and some holidays.
- Must be able to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Previous experience handling dogs and training dogs a plus.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish a plus.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Must be able to routinely lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including, but not limited to: lifting and carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Long exposure on a daily basis to dogs of all temperaments, sizes and medical conditions.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!