- 301- Accounting
- Kanab, UT, USA
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food.
Bring your financial skills to the gorgeous, red rock canyons of Southern Utah to help save the lives of homeless pets. If you're an experienced accountant, this is a job that could change your life. No cubicles in sterile high rises here. This is Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, nestled in some of the most beautiful outdoors on earth. And all around you are the animals whose lives you'll be helping to save by providing high quality and timely financial services. As a member of our staff, you will enjoy a common purpose with your colleagues along with challenging and rewarding work that provides a sense of purpose.
Best Friends Animal Society is committed to organizational financial transparency. We are top rated by Great Non-Profits and are a Guide Star Platinum participant. View our nonprofit financial information.
Position Title: Manager of Accounting
Reports to: Controller
Location: Kanab, UT
The position directly oversees the process by which transactions resulting from the day-to-day accounting operations of Best Friends are accurately recorded in accordance with the established procedures, the internal controls of the organization, and US Non-Profit GAAP. Responsibilities include managing the monthly closing process, consolidations, managing cash, and assisting with financial reporting. The position will need to interact directly with staff from all areas of the organization, including remote operations outside of Kanab, Utah.
- Responsible for maintaining the general ledger, the month-end close process, and managing the consolidation of the financials.
- Manage and mentor accounting staff to perform to their highest potential. 5 people currently report directly or indirectly to this position.
- Review month-end balance sheet account reconciliations and bank reconciliations as part of standard monthly procedure.
- Assist in the preparation of accurate and complete monthly financial statements.
- Manage cash balances daily and prepare cash reports.
- With the Controller and CFO, review, develop, and ensure compliance to Accounting Procedures, which comply with US GAAP for non-profit organizations.
- Administer the Best Friends credit card program including employee reconciliations.
- Manage the activity of restricted funds and grants, including documentation, recording, and reporting.
- Manage and monitor Capital Projects to ensure that amounts are properly capitalized and categorized.
- Respond to accounting inquiries and report requests from Best Friends staff.
- Assure compliance with federal, state, and local tax regulations, including sales and property tax. Manage the required tax filings with applicable payments in accordance with reporting deadlines.
- Assist with both the internal and annual audit processes by the preparation of required schedules and working directly with the auditors.
- Perform ad-hoc analysis through research to support the finance function, including supporting schedules for internal and external reporting requirements.
- Complete other ad hoc projects as needed
- Must be personally committed to the Mission and Core Values of the Best Friends Animal Society. (http://bestfriends.org/about-best-friends/our-mission)
- Bachelor Degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university.
- Five or more years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPA license is preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of GAAP, with a knowledge of Non-Profit GAAP a plus.
- Must possess advanced Excel skills to include manipulation of data using pivot tables.
- Must be familiar with the design and use of queries to extract information from databases.
- Demonstrated non-profit and management experience is preferred.
- Experience with Serenic Navigator (Microsoft Dynamics Nav) and the ADP Payroll System a plus.
- Must be familiar with intercompany transactions and elimination processes.
- Experience with accounting for investments, including the analysis of returns a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this position would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat and energetic, take initiative and uses tact and diplomacy.
- Work requires continual attention to detail, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines. Must be able to work in a dynamic environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to drive on organization business.
- Extended periods of time working at a computer with repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
Note: Due to the nature of this position which involves managing financial assets, candidates will be subject to a background check and a credit evaluation.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!