- 535 - NY Adoption Center
- New York, NY, USA
- Full Time
Best Friends offers a comprehensive benefit package. Medical, Dental, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Vision, Child Care, Cafeteria Plan, Life Insurance, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, etc.
Position Summary: Best Friends NYC Pet Adoption Center Manager is responsible for the daily operations of the Best Friends Pet Adoption Center in Soho, New York and ensures the appropriate standards of care and client service are adhered to so there is a safe, professional and friendly environment for animals, staff, community rescue partners and volunteers ensuring all focusing on the attainment of life saving goals.
- Assist the Executive Director and the Best Friends NYC Community Programs and Events Manager with defining the life-saving goals for the adoption center as well as the defining and executing the strategies to achieve said goals.
- Ensure Best Friends NYC center staff and community rescue partners are working closely together and productively with one another within the pet adoption center to achieve desired outcomes.
- Assist the Community Programs and Events Manager with planning, implementing, facilitating, monitoring, and evaluating all BFNYC center issues including but not limited to: memorandum of understandings (MOU) between BFNYC and partners, intake, feeding, data entry, medication, parasite control, health related issues and sanitation, animal outcome, medical and behavior rehabilitation and needs, volunteer orientation and on site management, daily enrichment including in-kennel training and play groups, foster care, population flow, spay/neuter.
- Coordinate and monitor daily intake between staff, rescue community partners and volunteers to ensure safe and strategic decisions are made regarding new arrivals and ensuring new animals are moved through the intake and shelter process in a consistent and timely manner so they are quickly made available for adoption. This also includes ensuring empty cages are being filled promptly as outlined in MOU and animals are being filled in by BFNYC for lifesaving on a daily basis as well as community partners ensuring kennels provided to them are occupied with adoptable animals.
- Ensuring that all center staff, rescue community partners and volunteers are trained and performing in conjunction with all agreements, memorandums of understanding, policies and procedures of Best Friends Animal Society by creating, updating and implementing standard operating procedures for all BFNYC center areas.
- Ensuring that all center staff, community partners and volunteers deliver quality customer service including disseminating appropriate information as well as perform duties in a manner which encourages attainment of goals, contributions and business for Best Friends Animal Society and its programs.
- Ensuring any client, community partner, staff or volunteer dissatisfaction is handled promptly and appropriately - partnering with the Community Programs and Event Manager, HR representative, and/or Executive Director as needed.
- Performing scheduling and payroll for all BFNYC center areas and ensure that all time and attendance is correct and completed by deadline time and dates as well as ensuring schedules are posted two weeks in advance for all areas.
- Partnering with HR representative and/or Executive Director as needed, interview, hire, train, perform consistent and timely corrective action and terminate employees consistent with the organization's mission, contracts, philosophy and law.
- Work within budgets and meet revenue goals as directed by executive team, plan and coordinate staffing, equipment, and facility needs.
- Coordinate payment of all invoices and bills related to the BFNYC Pet Adoption Center, and provide pertinent information to the Best Friends Animal Society Development Department for grants as necessary.
- Establish a preventative maintenance program to ensure the timely repair and/or replacement of shelter equipment; oversee the maintenance and ordering of an appropriate inventory of food and other shelter supplies.
- Oversee daily inventory of animals, perform daily bank deposits as well provide monthly statistical reports for Executive Director.
- Work with marketing staff and Community Programs and Event Manager to organize special adoption promotions including but not limited to monthly adoption promotions and sponsored fees for pets.
- Coordinate participation in Best Friends Events such as BFNYC Adoption Weekend and mobile adoption events as assigned.
- Participate in Leadership Team meetings as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Skills & Experience
- Background in the humane movement preferred
- 3 + years of managerial experience
- Proven ability to promote a positive work environment.
- Experience with overseeing an adoption program preferred.
- Experience with leading teams.
- Experience with growing programs.
- Experience with training and cultivating volunteers.
- Experience with reviewing statistical information to inform program direction.
- Engaging and friendly interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with the public and various forms of media outlets on behalf of the organization.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends Animal Society positions on issues.
- Dog training experience a plus.
- Strong knowledge of breed identification.
- Proficiency with a variety of computer tools such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, database, internet research, etc. Experience with Pet Point shelter software preferred.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation for travel on organization business.
- Must be able to routinely lift 40-50 pounds.
- Must be physically able to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Effectively handle dogs and cats.
- Lifting and handling animals of varying sizes and breeds, bending, stooping and walking on a daily basis.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time to include repetitive typing, arm and hand motion.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: weekend work is required and also includes night, holiday and on-call work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!