- 555- Westside Adoption Center
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401k and Staff Discounts.
Position: Overnight Caregiver, NKLA
Reports to: NKLA Pet Adoption Center Manager and Lead Pet Care Giver, NKLA
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Position Summary: Perform the feeding, medicating, and cleaning of the NKLA Pet Adoption Center cats and dogs, as well as oversee the health and well-being of the animals at the center during the overnight shift.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities include:
- Prepare and perform evening and morning feedings for all animals at the NKLA Pet Adoption Center in accordance with established protocols, feeding times, and timestamps.
- Prepare and perform evening and morning medicating of select animals, including proper administration, ensuring medications are safely and completely consumed, and organizing and storing medications according to protocols.
- Monitor pet eating habits, behavior, and medical habits/issues and ensure documentation is recorded in Caregiver Observation logs, staff email communications, and in the shelter software database.
- Maintain accurate, organized, up-to-date records for all the pets in the building.
- Ensure facility signage and animal inventory are up-to-date including accurate kennel cards on animal kennels, real-time updates to the shared online kennel map, and expedited updates to the shelter software location option.
- Clean in accordance with posted protocols to include, but not limited to:
- Off-leash areas
- Cat and Dog housing areas
- Ensure the dogs/cats have comfortable bedding, that kennels and condos are free of feces and urine, and that all pets have fresh water and are safely secure in their areas by 11pm so the pets have uninterrupted rest-time.Perform inventory of all pet food, medical supplies, dry storage and cleaning supplies.
- Report all maintenance/repair issues to manager or lead.
- Cycle and maintain laundry throughout entire shift.
- Perform routine visual checks on all animals including all areas where animals are housed without disturbing them to allow them time to sleep.
- Recognize and initiate communication for any animal needing immediate medical care following established emergency protocols and instructions given.
- Wipe down windows and doors, clean restrooms, sweep & mop floors and perform other cleaning duties along with, or in the absence of, the janitorial company.
- Identify & report improvement to cleaning procedures and caretaking responsibilities to Lead or Manager.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the NKLA Pet Adoption Center Manager and the Lead Pet Caregiver.
- Assist with updating data files and/or completing intake/admission data entry for animals admitted to the NKLA Pet Adoption Center; this includes inputting medical and behavioral information and ensuring animal records are complete and thorough.
- Assist with updating volunteer information in volunteer software.
- Check phone messages and transcribe, email, or otherwise ensure delivery to appropriate staff members for response during daytime hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to work overnight hours independently, with no direct supervision, and successfully complete tasks,communicate issues & concerns, and report status of assignments, in the absence of face to face communication with a Lead or Manager.
- Previous experience handling cats and dogs in a shelter environment strongly preferred.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' mission and position on animal welfare issues.
- Strong desire to work with cats and dogs.
- Demonstrate approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (client service) preferred.
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times.
- Comfortable handling cats and dogs with behavioral issues which may include shyness, fearfulness, and reactivity.
- Must be able to work with all cats and dogs, including those with health concerns/conditions and all sizes, breeds, and energy levels.
- Demonstrate personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings, and perspectives of others.
- Appropriate, clear, and concise written and verbal communication skills with strong listening skills.
- Knowledgeable of breeds, care giving, and characteristics of animals.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Basic computer skills necessary including checking e-mails, Google calendar, Google shared documents, and shelter software/online database usage.
- Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically demonstrate flexibility to persist until goals are achieved.
- Must be able to routinely lift 60 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including, but not limited to: lifting and carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time.
- Long exposure on a daily basis to dogs of all temperaments, sizes and medical conditions.
- Ability to effectively interact with and handle all animals including cats and dogs.
- Manual dexterity for keyboarding and computer work.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, over-night, and holiday work.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!