- Best Friends Internships
- UT, USA
Are you a creative, free-thinker who loves the fun that goes along with events, but also enjoys the nitty gritty details that go into pulling off those events? Do you believe that events can be used to spread the word of saving animals, and want to be a part of that greater good? Then the National Events team at Best Friends would love to have you as a National Events Intern!
We are looking for a detail-oriented individual who knows that events aren't all glitz and glamour; they involve data wrangling, top-notch customer service, and flexing your creative muscle on a daily basis. As a National Events Intern, you would gain experience with various aspects of the planning and execution of Best Friends' Strut Your Mutt national event series, a large-scale fundraising event.
You may also manage other event-related projects within the National Events Department as needed, and will be given the opportunity to meet staff members in other departments at Best Friends that relate to events, in order to gain insight and experience from as many professionals as possible. This position will work closely with Best Friends' key team members, as well as other divisions and departments, to ensure overall success of events.
- Compile and analyze event participant and fundraising data, with an ability to recognize trends
- Manage various aspects of local business relationships, including booth sales, in kind donation solicitation, and more
- Contribute to a variety of creative projects
- Learn more about event participants' needs through the Best Friends National Conference survey and managing the email@example.com email address
Weekly time commitment: 25-30 hours
Internship Duration: May-August 2017, exact dates are flexible. We would appreciate limited assistance to continue through mid-October, if the intern's school schedule allows.
Reports to: National Events Specialist for assignments and day-to-day needs.
Location: This is a remote, home-based position. The candidate will need a space to work that is quiet and has reliable internet access. If the candidate would like to relocate to Kanab, Utah (where our sanctuary is located) for any or all of the internship duration, we would welcome and encourage that, though it is not required.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship with a potential travel opportunity to a Strut Your Mutt event in the Fall if all internship duties are fulfilled and if budget allows.
Coordinate logistical projects associated with Best Friends' national event series, Strut Your Mutt. Projects and responsibilities include:
- Compile a weekly comprehensive report that reflects event attendee, team and fundraising totals and analyze trends to report to the team
- Fill roles on local planning teams that may include items such as: soliciting in kind donations, researching potential rental vendors, securing entertainment, and more.
- Consolidate updates from all satellite cities to a central highlights document for use by all internal departments
- Assist in the management of creative projects relating to Strut Your Mutt (may include craft supplies, giveaways, buttons, etc.)
- Assist with national Strut Your Mutt booth sales applications and tracking, to include: processing applications, tracking their company team progress, sending and processing invoices, and other tasks as assigned.
- Conceptualize, research options and gather pricing quotes for trophies to be used as fundraising awards for all events
- Familiarize with the reporting tools in Luminate Online in order to run various event reports as needed, which may include data on: funds raised, participant registrations, team overviews, and more
- Research items as needed for various event supplies and make recommendations on the best options for the team to order
- Develop various trackers and templates as needed, helping the events team as a whole to work more efficiently
- Act as a contact for planning committees in the various event cities as they have questions or need assistance with various aspects of their particular event
- Assist with various external stakeholder needs and requests that come in through the firstname.lastname@example.org email address, practicing positive customer service
- Assist with travel research and coordination for onsite event teams
- Assist in keeping Strut Your Mutt website up-to-date, when required
- Process event surveys from the Best Friends National Conference
- Other duties as assigned
- Create a Best Friends volunteer profile, if applicable
- Bachelor's degree in progress preferred, ideally in business, communications, event planning, or a similar major
- Strong communication, multi-tasking and organizational skills, responsive and timely
- Ability to learn and use/manage registration and networking software and web sites
- Excellent attention to detail, problem solving and time management skills; ability to proactively communicate and prioritize/re-prioritize each day as needed
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- The ideal person for this internship is a team player, personable, professional, positive, energetic and uses tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to meet deadlines, pro-actively communicate updates, ask questions and report issues to Best Friends staff.
- Willingness to intern according to a flexible schedule, with the vast majority of work hours being during the normal business work week.
- Ability to complete tasks independently and use judgment within established guidelines.
- Excellent computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word and Excel, ability to work within Google Drive and learn the platform quickly to become comfortable at the beginning of the internship
- Ability to sit and view computer screen for long periods of time
- Access to a reliable computer and high-speed internet
- Ability to work from home
Sign Up For Job Alerts!